Qamishli, Syria – On Sunday, militant group of the Islamic State (IS/ISIS) claimed responsibility for the deadly attack that hit the Italian consulate in Egypt’s capital, Cairo.
Saturday’s explosion claimed lives of at least one person and injured several others.
Policemen and civilians were among the injured, the Egyptian Health Ministry said.
“The Islamic state has claimed responsibility for a car bomb attack in front of the Italian Consulate in downtown Cairo, without giving further details about the operation,” pro-IS sources Tweeted on Sunday.
“Muslims should stay away from such sites, as they are legitimate targets for the Islamic State.”
An Egyptian security source told reporters in Cairo that militants attached an explosive device to one of the cars near the Italian consulate. “The device was later detonated by a remote control.”
On the other hand, Italian Foreign Minister, Paolo Gentiloni, said that there has been no Italian casualties in the terrorist attack.
“Italy will not remain silent on this terrorist attack,” he said.
The Egyptian journalist Angie Ali told ARA News that this attack indicates that IS militants intend to hit security in Cairo.
“We anticipate similar terrorist attacks by IS militants in the coming days. They are targeting several countries in the region, and Egypt is no exception,” she said.
“The situation in Egypt could deteriorate as militants stepped up their attacks after the overthrow of the Islamist President Mohammed Morsi in 2013.”
Meanwhile, spokesman of the Egyptian army said in a statement on Sunday: “The Egyptian military operations in northern Sinai have so far resulted in the death of some 252 terrorists and the arrest of 76 suspects.”
“The army has also destroyed 18 headquarters of terrorists in Sinai.”
Reporting by: Ahmed Shiwesh
Source: ARA News
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter